News & Insights
As workers and clients around the world adopt remote work arrangements during the COVID-19 outbreak, they are more susceptible to fraudulent emails. Hackers are exploiting the situation to specifically target these remote employees. Take care when clicking any unfamiliar message. Many businesses are experiencing an increase in fraudulent work emails and calls disguised as urgent or official.
Due to the heightened security situation, please follow these precautionary steps to be alert and aware of malicious attempts:
- If you are using a personal computer or mobile device, do not use an unfamiliar or public WiFi networks.
- Always lock your device regardless of where you are, especially in public areas. Best practice is to take your devices with you, if you are stepping away for an extended period of time.
- You may receive solicitations for new work tools for remote workers. Do not download any new tools that are unknown to you.
- Be cognizant of voicemail phishing (vishing) attacks. Pay attention to unknown links or attachments disguised as voicemails.
- Remain conscientious when using instant messaging, social media, mobile devices, and personal emails.
- Beware of fake texts as hackers will attempt to engage with you through your mobile devices. There’s an increase in fake texts being sent through known contacts. Stay vigilant to recognize changes in text style or links to request a different method of communication.
- When using your computer or device:
- Be conscientious of what you plug into your personal computer. Malware can be spread through infected flash drives, external hard drives, and even smartphones.
- Ensure the latest OS and application patches are fully applied.
- Use multi-factor authentication wherever possible for your devices and applications.
- Ensure your computer has anti-malware.
- Only install applications from trusted source, generally directly from a vendor.
- Shut down your computer at the end of your usage.
Fairport is registered with Hightower Securities, LLC, member FINRA and SIPC, and with Hightower Advisors, LLC, a registered investment advisor with the SEC. Securities are offered through Hightower Securities, LLC; advisory services are offered through Hightower Advisors, LLC.
This is not an offer to buy or sell securities. No investment process is free of risk, and there is no guarantee that the investment process or the investment opportunities referenced herein will be profitable. Past performance is not indicative of current or future performance and is not a guarantee. The investment opportunities referenced herein may not be suitable for all investors.
All data and information reference herein are from sources believed to be reliable. Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices, or other information contained in this research is provided as general market commentary, it does not constitute investment advice. The team and Hightower shall not in any way be liable for claims, and make no expressed or implied representations or warranties as to the accuracy or completeness of the data and other information, or for statements or errors contained in or omissions from the obtained data and information referenced herein. The data and information are provided as of the date referenced. Such data and information are subject to change without notice.
This document was created for informational purposes only; the opinions expressed are solely those of the team and do not represent those of Hightower Advisors, LLC, or any of its affiliates.